Making A Braided Fabric Belt With No Sewing!
For those who love to work with fabrics but hate firing up the sewing machine, this DIY project is perfect. Create a double wrap fabric belt to accessorize a pantsuit, a dress or jeans. Add a little bit of bling with gold hardware to making the braided belt pop. All this and you don’t even need to sew! This is what you’ve got to do:
• Take a colourful piece of fabric and then cut six strips of it. Each one inch wide and 36 inches long.
• Turn the six strips into three using a slit and loop knot. For this pick up one strip and cut a slit lengthwise in it. It should be half an inch from the base of the strip. Keep the slit big enough that the second strip of fabric can pass through it.
• Make the same slit into the second strip of fabric. Now pass piece 2 through the hole in strip 1 using the uncut end. Then pass strip 2 through the slip cut in it. Pull strip 1 and two tightly to create a knot.
• Repeat the process for the strip 3,4,5 and 6. In the end, you will have three long strips.
• The knotted end of the pieces now should be placed on a firm a surface so that you can begin braiding them. Make the ever popular three-strand braid. Make sure that the long fabric pieces do not tangle with each other. When there are just 5 inches of fabric left, stop braiding.
• To check if the belt fits, wrap it around your waist. Add more length, if needed. If not, then add the bling you wanat to the belt through the open ends.
• Tie the open ends, trim it and et voila you have a no-sew belt.